Dr. Thomaidis is an Associate Professor at Johannes Gutenberg Universität in Mainz, Germany. In addition to active teaching work to medical students at the university, Dr. Thomaidis demonstrates a rich research and writing work with publications in international journals.
His main research interest is in oncology of the digestive tract and especially in the promotion of new biomarkers as well as in new advanced endoscopic techniques.
He has been awarded the Walter-Krienitz Prize in Germany for his research on gastric cancer, while his research work has received "poster" and "travel grants" awards at pan-European and pan-German level.
Dr. Thomaidis plays an active role as a speaker and president at world-wide conferences (DDW, UEGW, DGVS, etc.) while since November 2019 he is the General Secretary of the Hellenic Society of Digestive Oncology .
He also participates in many international clinical trials concerning gastrointestinal oncology as well as he is an instructor of the new advanced techniques of minimally invasive endoscopy.
Dr. Thomaidis has developed clinical and research collaborations with distinguished Greek and foreign scientists:
Recent publications by Dr. Thomaidis:
• Moehler M, Maderer A, Ehrlich A, Foerster F, Schad A, Nickolay T, Ruckes C, Weinmann A, Sivanathan V, Marquardt JU, Galle PR, Woerns M, Thomaidis T. Safety and efficacy of afatinib as add-on to standard therapy of gemcitabine / cisplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced biliary tract cancer: an open-label, phase I trial with an extensive biomarker program. BMC Cancer. 2019 Jan 11; 19 (1): 55
• Thomaidis T , Rahman F, Thieringer F, Tontini GE, Mönkemüller K, Ishaq S, Galle PR, Neumann H. Feasibility Trial of the Newly Introduced Optical Optical Enhancement Technology in Patients with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Dig Dis. 2018; 36 (6): 450-455.
• Moehler M, Schad A, Maderer A, Atasoy A, Mauer ME, Caballero C, Thomaidis T , John JMM, Lang I, Van Cutsem E, Freire J, Lutz MP, Roth A; EORTC Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer Group. Lapatinib with ECF / X in the first-line treatment of metastatic gastric cancer according to HER2neu and EGFR status: a randomized placebo-controlled phase II study (EORTC 40071). Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2018 Oct; 82 (4): 733-739
• Nagel M, Schulz J, Maderer A, Goepfert K, Gehrke N, Thomaidis T , Thuss-Patience PC, Al-Batran SE, Hegewisch-Becker S, Grimminger P, Galle PR, Möhler M, Schattenberg JM. Cytokeratin-18 fragments predict treatment response and overall survival in gastric cancer in a randomized controlled trial. Tumor Biol. 2018 Mar; 40 (3): 1010428318764007
• Thomaidis T *, Lyros O *, Müller M, Sivanathan V, Grimminger P, Lang H, Gockel I, Hartmann JT, Moehler M. External Validation of the Proposed Kiel Staging System and Comparison with the Old (6th Edition) and the Currently Used (7th Edition) TNM Classification in Gastric Cancer. Oncol Res Treat. 2018; 41 (3): 122-128
• Martchenko K, Schmidtmann I, Thomaidis T , Thole V, Galle PR, Becker M, Moehler M, Wehler TC, Schimanski CC. Last line therapy with sorafenib in colorectal caner: a retrospective analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jun 21; 22 (23): 5400-5
• Triantafyllias K, De Blasi M, Hoffmann I, Thomaidis T , Drees P, Schwarting A. The count of tender rather than swollen joints correlates with aortic stiffness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Springerplus. 2016 Apr 11; 5:428
• Rey JW, Deris N, Marquardt JU, Thomaidis T , Moehler M, Kittner JM, Nguyen-Tat M, Dümcke S, Tresch A, Biesterfeld S, Goetz M, Mudter J, Neurath MF, Galle PR, Kiesslich R, Hoffman A . High-definition endoscopy with iScan and Lugol's solution for the detection of inflammation in patients with nonerosive reflux disease: histologic evaluation in comparison with a control group. Dis Esophagus. 2016 FebMar; 29 (2): 185-91
• M. Moehler, A. Ehrlich, C. Ruckes, T. Thomaidis , A. Weinmann, PR Galle, MA Woerns. Safety and efficacy of Afatinib with Gemcitabine / Cisplatin in chemo-naïve patients with metastatic biliary tract cancer: An open-label, uncontrolled phase Ib trial. Eur J Cancer 2015; Sep. 51: S440
• Kittner JM, von Bialy L, Wiltink J, Thomaidis T , Gospodinov B, Rieke A, Katz F, Discher T, Rath K, Claus B, Held G, Friese G, Schappert B, Schuchmann M, Galle PR. Lack of awareness in both patients and physicians contributes to a high rate of late presentation in a South West German HIV patient cohort. Infection. 2015 Jun; 43 (3): 299-305.
• Thomaidis T *, Moehler M *, Zeifri C, Barhoom T, Marquardt J, Ploch P, Schattenberg J, Maderer A, Schimanski CC, Weinmann A, Woerns MA, Kranich AL, Warnecke JM, Galle PR. Inclusion of targeted therapies in the standard of care for metastatic colorectal cancer patients in a German cancer center: the more the better ?! J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015 Mar; 141 (3): 515-22.
• Thomaidis T, Maderer A, Formentini A, Bauer S, Trautmann M, Schwarz M, Neumann W, Kittner JM, Schad A, Link KH, Rey JW, Weinmann A, Hoffman A, Galle PR, Kornmann M, Moehler M. Proteins of the VEGFR and EGFR pathway as predictive markers for adjuvant treatment in patients with stage II / III colorectal cancer: results of the FOGT-4 trial. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Oct 2; 33 (1): 83.
• Thomaidis T , Maderer A, Al-Batran SE, Kany J, Pauligk C, Steinmetz K, Schad A, Hofheinz R, Schmalenberg H, Homann N, Galle PR, Moehler M. VEGFR-3 and CXCR4 as predictive markers for treatment with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin in patients with advanced esophagogastric cancer: a comparative study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie (AIO). BMC Cancer. 2014 Jul 1; 14: 476.
• Thomaidis T, Wörns MA, Galle PR, Möhler M, Schattenberg JM Treatment of Malignant Ascites with a Second Cycle of Catumaxomab in Gastric Signet Cell Carcinoma - a Report of 2 Cases. Oncol Res Treat. 2014; 37 (11): 674-7. Epub 2014 Jul 28.
• Kittner JM, Brokamp F, Thomaidis T , Schmidt RE, Wiltink J, Galle PR, Jäger B. Disclosure and Experienced Social Support are not Related to Anxiety or Depression in a German HIV Patient Cohort. Infect Chemother. 2014 Jun; 46 (2): 77-83
• Thomaidis T , Weinmann A, Sprinzl M, Kanzler S, Raedle J, Ebert M, Schimanski CC, Galle PR, Hoehler T, Moehler M; Upper-GI-Group of AIO (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie), Germany. Erythropoietin treatment in chemotherapy-induced anemia in previously untreated advanced esophagogastric cancer patients. Int J Clin Oncol. 2014 Apr; 19 (2): 288-96.
• Thomaidis T, Goetz M, Gregor SP, Hoffman A, Kouroumalis E, Moehler M, Galle PR, Schwarting A, Kiesslich R. Irritable bowel syndrome and organic diseases: a comparative analysis of esophageal motility. World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Oct 14; 19 (38): 6408-15.
• Moehler M, Gockel I, Roessler HP, Arnold D, Trarbach T, Thomaidis T , Klautke G, Rödel C, Brenner B, Lang H, Lang H, Galle PR, Schimanski CC, Schmidberger H. Prospective, open, multi-center phase I / II trial to assess safety and efficacy of neoadjuvant radiochemotherapy with docetaxel and oxaliplatin in patients with adenocarcinoma of the oesophagogastric junction. BMC Cancer. 2013 Feb 11; 13:75.
• Relle M, Thomaidis T, Galle PR, Schwarting A. Comparative aspects of murine proteinase 3. Rheumatol Int. 2011 Aug; 31 (8): 1105-11.
• Thomaidis T , Schorn C, Flaig W, Lingg G, Schönhals E, Klingel R, Galle PR, Schwarting A. Immunoadsorption with tryptophan columns: a therapeutic option for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with septiac complications. J Clin Apher. 2009; 24 (1): 37-41.
• Thomaidis T , Relle M, Reinke J, Beck M, Schwarting A. [Effect of enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) on renal function of patients with Fabry's disease]. Med Klin (Munich). 2009 Sep 15; 104 (9): 699-703.
• Thomaidis T , Relle M, Golbas M, Brochhausen C, Galle PR, Beck M, Schwarting A. Downregulation of alpha-galactosidase A upregulates CD77: functional impact for Fabry nephropathy. Kidney Int. 2009 Feb; 75 (4): 399-407.
• Diagnosis and treatment of gastric cancer. Chapter: Significance of adjuvant therapeutic options. 2016. Uni-Med.